“Take time to stop and smell the roses.”
I’ve always had an affinity towards roses. They are my absolute favorite flower in the world, and the mere sight and smell of a rose can instantly brighten my mood. Over the years I have learned and discovered so many different uses for roses and new ways to incorporate them into my daily life. After receiving a huge bag of organic rose buds and petals, I decided it was time to let everyone in on one of my biggest beauty and health secrets.
This coveted flower’s earliest uses for beauty dates back to the ancient Greeks and Romans who used rose petals to perfume their baths. They valued roses highly and also decorated the floors of their banquet halls with these delicate petals. In distilled form, roses have been included in cosmetics, medicines and therapeutic treatments for centuries.
Rose petals are a staple in Ayurveda medicine to detoxify and calm the mind and body. Many beauty products today are now embracing rose as an ingredient. Rose water, rose distillate, rose essential oil, rose hip seed oil, this beautiful and fragrant flower helps to replenish and beautify the skin, hair, nails and entire body.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ROSES
- When used aromatically, rose calms and soothes the mind.
- Drinking a cup of rose tea a day can help combat depression and anxiety.
- Helps to strengthen the digestive tract and the stomach lining. It aids in eliminating toxic waste in both the small and large intestines.
- Rose tea can help combat Chronic Fatigue and insomnia.
- The very scent of rose can arouse you and therefore is helpful for boosting the libido.
- Rose tea has the ability to assist in clearing the urinary tract of toxic nitrogenous wastes which in turn can reduce the potential risk for bladder and kidney infections.
- Works as an anti-spasmodic and efficiently relieves spasms in the respiratory system, intestines and muscular spasms in limbs.
- Helps regulate and balance hormonal production.
- Promotes circulation, takes care of heart, reduces blood pressure and helps cure headaches, asthma and certain infections.
BEAUTY BENEFITS OF ROSES
- Rosewater is a natural toner. Apply liberally with a cotton ball and wipe face to remove dirt and makeup. Helps to tighten pores, too.
- The natural oils found in roses help lock moisture into the skin which helps to keep the skin feeling smooth and soft.
- The sugars in rose petals make it perfect for those with sensitive skin as it instantly creates a soothing feeling.
- Using a few drops of rosewater in bath water will make your skin glow.
- The anti-bacterial properties in rose makes it amazing for fighting acne and breakouts.
- Anti-Inflammatory properties help to soothe irritation skin and redness. Its calming properties can also help sooth rosacea and eczema.
- Due to the high amount of Vitamin C found in roses it is a wonderful antioxidant that can help protect skin cells from damage due to sun.
- Great for under eye area to combat dark circles.
- Rosewater has natural conditioning properties which makes it wonderful to use in your hair. Add a few drops of rosewater to your shampoo or conditioner to aid hair growth.
HOW I USE ROSES IN MY HEALTH + BEAUTY ROUTINE:
I use Rosewater every day, without fail. It is a must have product for me. I spray it on my face throughout the day to freshen up. I use it as a makeup setting spray and I also use it as a toner. It instantly makes my face glow and helps to moisturize my dry skin. I will often use it on my entire body after showering and also I add a few sprays of rosewater to my hair when damp. I drink 1-2 cups of Rose tea a day with a small spoon of raw organic honey. One usually in mid-afternoon and one before bed. It helps to calm anxiety immediately. The aroma of the roses instantly calms my mind and makes me feel happier. I personally crave the taste of roses and I don’t mind the some-what perfume taste that it imparts, because I find it so delicious. If you find that the taste is too much for you, I recommend watering it down or adding some raw honey to sweeten it. You can also add rose petals to other teas. I love to mix the petals in my green or black teas. So many antioxidants all in one cup. I also love to use rose essential oil as a natural perfume, especially before going to sleep. I apply it to my pulse points and I must say it is quite the aphrodisiac.
Are you a rose lover? I would love to hear the ways that you incorporate roses into your daily routines.
3 thoughts on “Beauty and Health Benefits of Roses”
I’m with you and love just about anything with roses! Two of my favorite products are La Balmba Rosa Healing Rose Balm from RL Linden & Co and Terra Essential Scents in rose. Please post more of your favorite rose products!
I absolutely love roses! Very interesting that rose tea can help with depression, anxiety, and chronic fatigue.