In Love With: Frankincense Oil

IMG_6112

Oh, where to begin with this heavenly oil? This oil is miraculous and perhaps the most precious of the ancient oils. Frankincense Oil is renown for it’s many incredible healing benefits due to it’s properties as an antiseptic, disinfectant, astringent, carminative, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, digestive, diuretic, emenagogue, expectorant, sedative, tonic, uterine and vulnerary substance.

Frankincense Oil is extracted from the gum or resin from Frankincense or Olibanum trees, whose scientific name is Boswellia Carteri.  Frankincense has been a popular ingredient in cosmetics and incense burners for centuries. It has even been found in the remains of ancient Egyptian and Anglo-Saxon civilizations. It is closely associated with religious traditions and rites, particularly in the Christian tradition. Frankincense oil has been used to awaken our spiritual awareness and connect with spirit for 5000 years or more. It will help us release parts of our ego which hold us back from connecting with our soul, as well as feelings of unworthiness and insecurity.

Skin Health:

• tones and lifts skin, heals and protects skin (against  boils, wounds, acne and other skin maladies), fades and heals scars
  • promotes regeneration of healthy cells and keeps existing cells and tissues health
  • eliminates germs (either by burning resin or applying oil topically)

Frankincense Oil promotes regeneration of healthy cells and also keeps the existing cells and tissues healthy. When you combine this aspect of frankincense oil with its powerful astringent capabilities, you have a potent anti-aging quality that frankincense oil is often used for. It can help you to eliminate sun spots, remove micro-wrinkles around the eyes and cheeks, and generally tone and tighten skin all over your body, while simultaneously replacing old or dying cells with new, healthy ones!

Internal Health:

• acts as a sedative, great for insomnia, helps anxiety, anger and stress.
  • relieves pain associated with rheumatism, arthritis, etc., soothes inflammation.
  • improves digestion and alleviates gas, abnormal sweating, uneasiness, and indigestion
  • promotes urination to purify the body and reduce bloating
  • helps regulate estrogen production and delayed menstruation. Helps PMS symptoms and pain.
  • relieves cough and phlegm, bronchitis, and congestion
  • relieves body pain, headache, toothache and rise in body temperature (fever) associated with sickness
  • tones up all the systems operating in the body: respiratory, digestive, nervous and excretory systems
  • strengthens absorption of nutrients in the body

Overall, Frankincense essential oil tones and boosts health and is therefore considered a tonic. It benefits all the systems operating in the body, including the respiratory, digestive,  nervous and excretory systems, while also increasing strength by aiding the absorption of nutrients into the body. Furthermore, frankincense oil strengthens the immune system and keeps you strong and protected for the future.

Suffering from Anxiety or Stress?

Frankincense Oil is very effective as a sedative, because it induces a feeling of mental peace, relaxation, satisfaction and spirituality. It also awakens insight, makes you more introspective and lowers anxiety, anger and stress. When feeling anxious or if you anticipate some sort of stressful episode, add some frankincense oil to a diffuser or a vaporizer. Frankincense essential oil promotes deep breathing and relaxation, which can open your breathing passages and reduce blood pressure, moving your mental state back to calmness.

IMG_6116

How I use Frankincense Oil:

I have both undiluted frankincense oil and frankincense oil that is diluted in jojoba oil (pictured above). Both of these are great but I like to use them for different reasons.

I use undiluted frankincense oil directly on my skin and it has never caused any irritation though you should always patch test when using essential oils. If I have a stubborn pimple or any patch of redness, I directly apply the undiluted oil to the spot with a cotton pad and within 1-2 nights the pimple and/or irritation is gone. The biggest difference I have noticed in my skin since using this oil is that when I wake up my skin literally glows and feels so incredibly soft.

I use the diluted oil as a treatment for Fibromyalgia. I apply a generous amount to the back of my neck before bed and it has helped to reduce my pain greatly. I also like to apply it to my stomach whenever I am having discomfort as it has many digestive benefits. Because this oil can be so beneficial for chronic pain, I have started to apply it to my lower abdomen/uterus area every other night to hopefully help with my Endometriosis pain.

When I am having an anxiety attack or just feeling generally stressed, I put some undiluted oil on a cotton pad and take a deep breath. I will also leave the cotton pad under my pillow case to help me have a deep sleep. It is amazing how just a few whiffs of this oil can help immediately reduce stress and anxiety.  Another great way to use this oil is to put a few drops in your bath and soak in it. It will help to relax your muscles and your mind! I am researching taking this oil internally and plan to take 1-2 drops daily for digestive and immune health but want to make sure I am using the best brand before I do that.

Frankincense Oil blends well with Lime, Lemon, Orange and other Citrus oils as well as Benzoin, Bergamot, Lavender, Myrrh, Pine and Sandalwood oil but my favorite thing to blend Frankincense with is Myrrh. the two of these oils work like magic together.

Note: There are no known adverse side effects. That being said, frankincense essential oil should not be used during pregnancy, since it does act as an emenagogue and astringent. Check with your doctor before ever using an essential oil internally.

Credit Sources: 1, 2

Have you ever used Frankincense Oil? What are your thoughts? Please share in the comments!

xoxo,

Britanie

Find Me On…

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | YOUTUBE | PHOTOGRAPHY | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM

*All of my reviews are based on my own personal experiences with the brand/products. I received this product to review for free from the company but am never paid to give my honest opinions and will only review and recommend products and brands I love and use myself! All Photographs are (C) Britanie Faith unless stated otherwise.*

About Britanie Faith

Blog of Britanie Faith. Organic and Natural Beauty Advocate, Green Makeup Artist, Herbalist, Photographer, Lover of Fashion and Vintage-Finds, Creator of Concoctions, Health and Wellness Enthusiast. This blog features original and inspired concoctions, recipes, tips, product reviews, life updates, musings, makeup looks, fashion, vintage finds, and my everyday life and all of it's joys and struggles.
This entry was posted in Health, Skincare and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to In Love With: Frankincense Oil

1. Jana says:

I need this, sounds amazing! :) xx

2. nataliejo210 says:

I love this article! Check out my blog? I just started and it would mean so much if you could look at my latest article http://lovethegirlinthelittleblackdress.wordpress.com

3. Marnie says:

I like it mixed with any of the citrus essential oils, but I really love mixing it with grapefruit essential oil. Frankincense is lovely. Great tribute to this e/o!

4. This oil has many awesome properties! How would you use this for help with digestive problems like constipation or blotting? Also, do you like to use this as a daily moisturizer?

Great post :)

• Britanie says:

For digestive health you can use the oil directly on your stomach to help with bloating, cramping, etc. As for heartburn and constipation, taking it internally would be the best way to help alleviate those problems but I would do research on that and/or talk to your doctor before ingesting it. I am researching that right now because so many people take it internally and swear by it for digestive health among other things! I do like to use it as a daily moisturizer but I prefer to use it at night as a deep treatment :) It is incredibly moisturizing.

5. I am SO SO SO into oils and cannot believe that I haven’t tried this. Thanks so much for this great info!
    The Grass Skirt

6. kimberlyloc says:

Frankincense is one of my favorites! You know I’m a fan of the Zum Rub in Frankincense & Myrrh — I truly believe Frankincense is one of those amazing anti-acne treatments! I’ve never tried it internally, but I love that EOs can have so many uses. Great post! xoxo

7. I was introduce to essential oils a few years back by our natural healer, Dr.C. She advice us to start with Thieves, Peppermint and Frankincense. Recently, we started to use these EO’s more as a medication alliterative for my daughter’s allergies and such. Frankincense I have used to promote breast health and immunity, I use therapeutic grade so I can ingest by veg cap. So far we’ve seen amazing results.

Your site is wonderful and love all of the useful hints you write about so I am looking forward to following you. Have a great night! Allie.

8. Sarah says:

Let us know how it works for your endo pain. I would be willing to give this a try if i knew it made a difference. Been having real bad pain lately. :) Thank you!!!

9. Pingback: Health Benefits of Bay Essential Oil | Miss Herb

10. Pingback: Beauty of the Month: Britanie Faith of Beauty By Britanie | Gourmet Beauty

11. Painted Lady says:

I’m pretty darn sure I need to grab a bottle of this stuff for my acne! It sounds like a miracle worker!

12. carol says:

I am so happy to hear that you have had success with lavendar for fibromyalga! I just recently discovered doTERRA oils. doTerra oils are safe to take internally (except a very few that say to not). I would not ever suggest to take any other essential oil internally, because so many add fillers. While those fillers help keep the cost down, it also makes them ineffective and not safe for internal use. If you’d like more info about doTerra check out their site. I have heard first account success stories that are amazing! Let me know if you’d like more info too!

• Anonymous says:

I second doTerra oils. doTerra Frankincense CAN be used during pregnancy. I’m an example. I’ve had no problems, have been using it for a couple of months, and I’m seven-months pregnant.

13. Evie says:

Hi Brit, thanks for this post! Because of your post, I went out today to the mall to get one immediately. However in Norway, i could only get undiluted version so had to buy jojoba oil separately. Could you advise the ratio to make into diluted version with jojoba oil?I would like to try that for my cramps and tummy issues, also my shoulder and neck pain!

14. JoineaPal says:

“Its a great offer. I think it would be effective for all. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Keep it up.”
    oil jobs Alberta

15. Kelly says:

Frankincense oil is amazing i been using different types the best i come across is Boswellia Sacra oil i got it from http://www.puresacra.com its 100% pure and natural i use it internally also. they also have the Frankincense incense resin too

16. Pingback: Frankincense is a Master and a Must! | Transform with Essential Oils

17. Ginny says:

I herniated a disc & got to where I couldn’t walk. I don’t even mean I couldn’t tough through it, but physically could not walk. I had my husband bring some frank home & I applied it, mixed with olive oil, to my spine. It was the 1st night in a week I got sleep & I was walking the next day. Same day as my chiro appointment & she was blown away too! I’ve used it for many things since. Love it!!

18. Ginny says:

I have to add that it still took a couple weeks to recover, but it was amazing how it helped my pain & inflammation tremendously. I had read studies that stated it helped heal herniated discs. Another friend used it after me & it worked on her back as well. That’s when I definitely knew it wasn’t all in my head. Used it on wasp stings & my daughter’s swollen eye. Both times worked like a charm for pain & swelling.

19. Great article! I love frankincense oil. I add it to all our body wash and lotion. Applied it directly to my DS warts and they were gone in a couple weeks. Great stuff!