Anxiety can be SUCH a bitch. I’m just going to put it like that because to be completely honest, there really is no nice way to convey the discomfort it can bring when it arrives (always uninvited). It can feel debilitating and make you feel like you’re not in control. Ever heard the song “Where Is My Mind” by The Pixies? Yeah, it’s like that.
At random times (especially when stressed, overtired, and even when you are feeling fine) thoughts race and ruminate, it feels like a war in your brain. I know this feeling and have to work daily at combating it myself. Because like millions of other people, I suffer from anxiety and have made it one of my missions to find solutions and help along the way. Anxiety runs in families and mine is no exception. According to the National Institute of Health, Anxiety Disorders affect over 40 million people in the US alone! So don’t ever feel alone if you occasionally or often suffer.
There are so many things that I do to make sure to keep anxiety at bay. Here are some additional skills I’ve learned as well as some of the products I recommend. Keep in mind that I am not a Doctor or Health Care Professional. These are strategies and products that help me along the way. Always check with your Doctor before experimenting with any alternative treatments.
- Read the book Hope And Help For Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes. By far the best book I have found that describes anxiety like I could never do myself. It makes me feel comforted every time I read and re-read lines. I keep a copy with me in my purse for quick reference.
- Figure out a way to get restorative sleep. This is a tough one for millions of people too! I have Fibromyalgia and this condition makes restorative sleep a gift when it happens. Try short naps and meditate daily.
- Limit caffeine to one or two cups per day and never at night.
- Exercise daily. Even if it’s just walking around the neighborhood or up and down the stairs. Get your fresh air and focus on gratitude and what’s working in your life.
- Surround yourself with people that you love and care about. People that have anxiety are usually some of the most sensitive and loving individuals. And that being said, very often pick up negative energy and tend to “over feel” other people’s suffering and take it on as if it was their own. Just by being aware of this, it can help you to not take it on.
Here are my current favorite remedies to help calm nerves!!!
- Allergy Research Groups Zen – Zen contains two powerful ingredients: L-Theanine (found in Green Tea) and GABA. Taking this during stressful times or every day for general anxiety can be extremely helpful. I have gone through three bottles of this so far and keep re-ordering as I notice when I am not on it that I am more prone to panic attacks and general uneasiness.
- Organic India Tulsi Tea – Oh, Tulsi Tea, also known as Holy Basil, is one of my all time favorite herbs in the world. I only first discovered it a year and a half ago and have never looked back. This is one of those teas that when you don’t drink it, you notice a difference immediately in your mood. Just one cup of this when I’m stressed out helps to instantly calm me.
- Lotus Wei Inner Peace Anointing Oil – It is no secret how much I love Lotus Wei. Let’s be honest… I’m obsessed. I love everything from the entire line but lately I have been collecting the Anointing Oils. They can be used as natural perfumes and applied easily by rubbing on the wrists and behind the ears. My favorite anointing oil is Inner Peace as it helps almost instantly when I am feeling overwhelmed. It relieves heart palpitations and helps to balance my entire nervous system.
- Bali Botanical Lavender Oil – Diffusing Lavender which helps so much to soothe my nerves. It always makes my house smell AMAZING! Dab a drop onto my pulse points, blend together and take deep inhales. This helps immediately with stress and anxiety. Apply a small amount to my pillow cases before bed. Mix with a carrier oil and apply to the bottoms of my feet before sleep to help with insomnia.
- Uma Oils Pure Calm Wellness Oil – Everything Shrankla makes is perfection. I am a huge fan of her Energy Oil but recently started using the Calm Oil on the bottoms of my feet every night and it is so potent that within 10 mins of applying I feel a wave of tranquility. The scent is divine and can also be applied anywhere on the body. I often like to use this on my shoulders and back of neck for added calmness. It’s great for Insomnia, too!
Have you tried any of these? What are your go-to’s for calming your nerves?