Triphala is one of the most powerful Ayurvedic supplements for overall health.
Triphala comes from the ancient Indian system of traditional medicine, ‘Ayurveda.’ Ayurveda focuses on disease prevention and the maintenance of an overall healthy physiology. The word ‘triphala’ comes from Sanskrit and literally means ‘three fruits.’ This name comes from the fact that triphala is comprised of three Ayurvedic components:
● AMALAKI(Amla, Indian gooseberry, emblica officinalis): is considered one of the best rejuvenating herbs in Ayurveda. It’s a strong natural antioxidant containing 20 times more vitamin C than orange juice. It is believed to increase gastric emptying and possesses many antimicrobial properties. In India, amalaki is known as the nurse herb because it strengthens the immune system and cools the body.
● HARITAKI(Harada, terminalia chebula): has the strongest laxative powers of the three fruits contained in triphala. It is believed to promote digestion and treat acute and chronic constipation. In Tibet, haritaki is so highly revered that in their sacred paintings, it’s often depicted in the extended palm of the medicine Buddha. The herb also has astringent properties.
● BIBHITAKI (Bihara, Behada, terminalia belerica): is an excellent rejuvenative with both laxative and astringent properties. It eliminates excess mucous in the body and provides support for a variety of lung conditions, including bronchitis and asthma. It is also a source of protein, oils and linoleic acid, an omega-3 essential fatty acid.
The Many Health Benefits of Triphala:
● Digestion: Triphala is taken as a general health tonic, useful for all body types and a variety of conditions. It is commonly recommended to tone and strengthen the digestive system, particularly in cases of weak digestion and constipation. Triphala is a gentle laxative that can be used daily and is not habit-forming, and has no adverse effects on the intestinal flora (the microorganisms that aid digestion). It is said to improve the function of the stomach and intestines, and is also useful for cases of excess stomach acid. Triphala regulates and detoxifies the bowels, improves overall health by increasing the efficiency and absorption of digestion, and reduces gas. It has a balancing effect on the body’s metabolism, and is prescribed to restore appetite. The herbal compound also helps the body to eliminate excess fat, by improving metabolism. Because of its gentle properties, triphala is recommended as a digestive aid for the elderly and for those with sensitive stomachs.
● Gastrointestinal Motility: Triphala is believed to promote gastrointestinal motility. Proper digestion and absorption of nutrients entails the contraction and relaxation of muscles located in the stomach and intestine. When the nerves of the gastrointestinal tract fail to function normally, health conditions may occur such as irritable bowel syndrome. Doctors often prescribe prokinetic drugs to treat gastrointestinal conditions. In a study published in the “Journal of Postgraduate Medicine,” researchers found that Triphala is equally effective in gastric emptying as prokinetic drugs without producing negative side effects.
● Constipation Relief: Triphala is known to have a gentle laxative effect. It works by removing toxins, accumulations, gas & distention without irritating the colon. If you are suffering from constipation and want to avoid harsh commercial laxatives, give triphala a try.
● Blood Detox: Triphala is used as a blood builder and purifier, and may increase red blood cell count and hemoglobin levels. Because of its balancing effect on blood sugar levels it may be useful for those with diabetes and hypoglycemia. It also has anti-cholesterol and anti-mucus properties in the body. Triphala is believed to strengthen the kidneys and liver, and can be helpful for hepatitis sufferers.
● Immune System Boost: Triphala is extremely beneficial in increasing the immunity in the body and also helps in fighting any kind of infection that occurs in the body. It is helpful in production of various anti-bodies, T helper cells and lymphocytes that are helpful in fighting against any foreign invasion on our body. Triphala is one of the powerful antioxidant. Its reference has been found in various ayurvedic texts. Triphala has a unique properties by which it is has the affinity to scavenges free radicals. It is very helpful in retarding the early aging process to make you young for ever. It also fills your body with new energies and enthusiasm that will make you and your body happy.
● Antibacterial Effects: Triphala is also believed to possess antibacterial properties. In a study published in the September 1998 issue of the “Journal of Ethnopharmacology,” researchers found evidence of antibacterial activity against various bacterial species such as Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium associated with the development of gastritis, ulcers and stomach cancers. A subsequent study published in the December 1998 issue of the same publication found that Triphala inhibits the growth of Streptococcus. In particular, oral rinsing using Triphala extract was shown to create a protective effect indicating a potential role in dental care.
● Brain Enhancer: Triphala is supposed to increase the mental ability as well as improves the concentration levels in the brain. It does not let the non required chemicals to get secreted in the brain thereby preventing the production of negative thoughts and does not let depression to interfere in your life. Triphala energizes the body. It eradicates all the lactic acid formed in the body which is the main cause of the fatigue in the body.
● Urinary System: Triphala is very helpful in curbing any kind of infection that is affecting the urinary tract hence it is extremely helpful treating any kind of urinary tract infection. Triphala is also helpful in cases of Dysurea (painful urination). It helps to maintain the normalcy in urination and eases the urine flow out side the body.
● Female reproductive system – Triphala is extremely beneficial in treating female reproductive tract abnormalities. Diseases like dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, irregular menses, leucorrhea, vaginal dryness, excess bleeding etc are some of the common problems that have been successfully treated by normal use of Triphala.
● Male reproductive system – Triphala is extremely beneficial in treating the various diseases of male reproductive system. It is helpful in increasing the energies of the body and also augments the endurance. It helps in increases the sperm count and enhances the quality of the sperms. There for it is considered as a good aphrodisiac agent.
How To Take Triphala –
You can take Triphala either in a powder from or capsule/tablets. I use both. I put a tiny bit of powder in my smoothies in the morning and I also take the tablets at night before bed. it is really up to you which you prefer!
I have used Triphala for years now and absolutely swear by it! My favorite brand is Triphala Tablets by Planetary Herbals and it’s very affordable! The capsules are the easiest to digest and the most palpable as the taste of powder can be quite hard to get used to!
6 thoughts on “health scoop | triphala – the ancient ayurvedic combination of “wonder fruits”.”
I swear by Triphala! It’s incredible! I’m so happy to come across this. I was going to do a write up on it as well. I purchased some from my Ayurvedic dr, and wanted to find a new brand. I will definitely check out the ones you have mentioned. Great info and review.
Thank you!! It’s so nice to hear that someone else swears by it! I feel like it’s so underrated. I have been using it for years and love it!! You should definitely try the raw powder triphala… it works perfectly in smoothies and is very powerful!
I’m definitely probably going to pick up both. The one I purchased from my Dr, I cannot find in elsewhere. Is is called Arishtriphala, perhaps it is a blend, and I do love it, it’s magical. I don’t think enough people know about it, I don’t know anyone who does but when I tell them and they trynitbthey love it!
The only thing I know about Triphala is it reduces fat in the body. Indian gooseberry and Haritaki have the potential of reducing fat in your body. One of the ingredients I guess. It is also good for the skin. I know something about it cause my mom bought it from this site http://www.himalayaherbs.pl/zdrowie-ogolne/40-triphala-himalaya-anemia-niestrawnosc-zaparcia.html I just want to know more about it.
very good explanation. Thank you.